Industry News and Updates

URNs vs. RNs — What’s the Difference?


As you prepare to bring a new product to market, you may run into a couple of terms that are critical for your product’s compliance: URNs and RNs.

While they share two letters, URNs and RNs are not the same thing. You may need a URN and you may elect to get an RN — it all depends on the type of product you are registering.

Here we explore the differences between URNs and RNs, what types of products they are needed for, how to apply for them, and how GRS can support you in compliance for both.

What are the main differences between a URN and RN? 

URNs and RNs are both related to compliance, but there are key differences between the two including what they represent, the types of products that use them, and whether they are required at all.

What does it stand for? Uniform Registry Number Registered Identification Number
What does it represent? The physical factory that manufactures the product The U.S. business that manufactures, imports, distributes or sells the product
What types of products use it? Products with hidden filling materials (Mattresses, Upholstered sofas and chairs, Stuffed toys, Etc.) Products covered under the Textile, Wool, and Fur Acts (Non-quilted clothing, Window coverings, Towels, Tablecloths, Etc.)
Is it legally required? Yes, a URN must be printed on every law label for stuffed articles No, but an RN can be listed on a product label instead of the company name
Are there penalties for not using one? Yes: fines or removing the product from the marketplace No
Is it searchable? No. There is no single database for all registered URNs. Yes. You can search for a RN on the FTC’s website.

What is a URN? 

A URN (Uniform Registry Number) is a unique ID identifier for the physical factory location that manufactures the final product. A URN traces the product back to the site where it was physically manufactured. 

URNs are required for products with hidden filling materials, such as (but not limited to) mattresses, upholstered sofas and chairs, stuffed toys, and more. URNs must be printed on the law label for those products.

How to get a URN

To obtain a URN, the factory — or another party acting on its behalf, such as an importer — must first apply for a bedding/furniture license in one of the 14 U.S. government agencies that regulate stuffed articles. 

Once registered with a single agency, your new URN will need to be registered in all other states in order to be recognized.

URNs are only issued to the manufacturing company. Importers cannot legally obtain URNs. If an importer or distributor company wants to print their information on the law label, they must obtain importer licensing or obtain a joint URN with the manufacturing company. 

How can GRS help with URNs?

URNs are our speciality! GRS can help you apply for a new URN, assist with monitoring your licenses, and guide you on how to bring an expired URN current. 

The first step is to register for your URN. GRS can support you during registration by handling the various paperwork and payments that must be submitted to regulatory agencies across the United States. Get started by tapping the button below.

Once you have applied for a URN, you can legally sell stuffed articles in the United States. However, getting compliant is just the first step — staying compliant is an ongoing process, and GRS can help.

GRS offers three different Monitored Services to support you with license renewals and other ongoing compliance issues. Tap the button below to learn more about our Monitored Services and how we can take the headache out of ongoing compliance.

What is an RN? 

An RN (Registered Identification Number) is a number issued by the Federal Trade Commission to U.S. businesses that manufacture, import, distribute, or sell products covered by the Textile, Wool, and Fur Acts. 

This includes, but is not limited to, non-quilted clothing, window coverings, towels, tablecloths, and more.  Businesses can use this number on product labels instead of the company name.

How to get an RN

You can apply for an RN at no cost by working directly with the FTC. Tap the button below to start the process.

How can GRS help with RNs?

While GRS cannot help you apply for a RN, they still have a place in our system. 

Companies that sell quilted clothing to our Retail Compliance partners must have the retailer partner’s RN and the factory listed on their Quilted Clothing table. 

You can learn more about our Retail Compliance, as well as the obligations of quilted clothing suppliers, by tapping the button below.

Sign up for our newsletter

Related posts


Understanding Utah’s Online Sales Requirements: R70-101-13

Available July 15, 2024, Utah has released a copy of their new rule change regulating the online stuffed articles market.  The proposed rules are available for public comment until August... read more

Stuffed Article Inspection Guide (Part 3) — Law Label Design Violations

Table of Contents Part 1 — What are Inspections? Part 2 — License Violations Part 3 — Law Label Design Violations If you’ve already read Part 1 and Part 2... read more
Load More

Stay in Touch

Sign up for Updates

Copyright © 2024 Global Registration Services, Inc. | All Rights Reserved | Web Design by Kicks Digital Marketing